We all get out of routine from time to time. All of us.
Some of you know exactly what you’ll do to restart. You’ve done it before and you’ll do it again. You know what machines, what lifts, how long, how much and you can’t WAIT to feel the muscle burn and hear the clink and clank of the weights.
And then there’s the rest of us.
Maybe you were in a rhythm prior to this current season. You started the year off well and you were so proud! And then, BOOM, no more gym, no more routine and you might feel the effects in your waistline. That’s frustrating! We know!
Maybe you didn’t have a rhythm at all! You need to begin, not again, just begin.
How do you begin or begin AGAIN?
Here’s our best advice for you:
- Start small.
- We know you may be eager, but start small. You will likely FEEL your first visit or first workout. Don’t demotivate yourself by making it nearly impossible to walk for days. Don’t set yourself up for failure by setting an expectation of “hitting the gym everyday” when that hasn’t been your habit for several months (or longer.)
- Small successes added up over time allow us to hit big goals.
- Make a plan before walking in.
- What will you do and how much and when? Write it down in a planner or calendar (we made you a FREE one in our resource vault! www.clubfuelfitness.com/resource-vault
- Don’t know what to plan? Start with 20 minutes of moderate cardio activity (walk, elliptical, bike, etc…) and 20 minutes of strength training of your major muscles: legs, chest, back and core
- Don’t know what exercise to do or how much?
- Start with 1-4 sets of 10-25 reps of these (don’t forget advice #1)
- Chest Press
- Chest Fly
- Lat Pull Down
- Seated Row
- Plank hold 30 seconds
- (If you are unsure how to do any of the above, our front desk team would be happy to show you the machine and give basic instructions to get you started!)
- Workout with a friend.
- Having that accountability is HUGE for getting started and STAYING in the action.
- Our MyZone heartrate monitor is great for accountability as well. Many of our members and Fuel Fitness team wear them and we have a community online. You can use that community for accountability and support.
- (Our front desk team would be happy to get you started with MyZone.)
- Every step forward is progress. Celebrate and be proud of every step forward and don’t beat yourself up for what is now out of your control (the past.)
- We are eager to celebrate your steps of progress too! Share with us on social and PLEASE tell us in person! Your story is why we do what we do!
(If you aren’t a Fuel Member yet, we would love to have you join us! $29/mo.)
Fuel Fitness Team